Blog Archive

Sunday, 21 December 2014

Board Game Research

I have decided that the second use of the packaging will be a board game. I want it to be social, have long life and promote the company too. I also want an app to accompany the game to narrow down the material needed for the game to work. No need for instructions and other board game related peripherals. The bottle caps will be used as the board game pieces.

Battle Ships

I like the idea of this one because the way my packaging works, The player can't see the opponents side of the game (as illustrated in this example):




Battle Ships has been used as a drinking game in the past, it is called Battle Shots. I even made one myself once "Nyan cat boat ftw" (left):



Monopoly's Chance Cards

Monopoly used randomness to make the game more exciting. I want to incorporate some kind of system where landing on a certain space means the player must draw a card with random consequences ranging form movement on the board to truth and dare. I would also have cards for adults and children like drinking cards for adults. 
Adding such a system would mean I might have to add more materials like cards, which in counter intuitive to what I'm trying to achieve. I found a solution however; creating an app that dictates all the chances in the game from dice rolling to random chance cards.




Tiddlywinks

The way my packaging is design and unfolds, it leaves three holes either side for the beer. This gave me the idea of Tiddlywinks, quite an archaic game in this day and age. However the audience Hobson's appeals to may appreciate such a game. Any coin (lighter is better) can be used to flick into the holes that the beers were stored in if the player misses and the coin lands a head, they get another go until a tails lands or it lands in a whole. Landing the coin in the other player's hole means the player must take his cap back to the beginning of the board. Here is demonstration:


The rules will be slightly tweaked for the coins, the player would flick with their thumb from the edge of the table.


I feel a culmination of these games would make for an enticing game and would last for a Christmas/Birthday/Uni year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment