Blog Archive

Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Week 3- Sustainable Packaging

This week we had a look at the most efficient forms of packaging. We turned to traditional Japanese packaging. Their use of materials is so efficient and useful. I was especially fascinated by the rope-wrapped fish:


Fish wrapped like this can be preserved for over 6 months yet it is only wrapped in rope, a widely sustainable material. This amazed me.


Another task we were given, in a group, was  to make sturdy apple packaging out of cardboard and string. This was great because it taught us how minimal packaging and materials can go a long way. Once we finished the packaging, they were given 'the swing test' to see if the apples didn't fall out after swinging them intensely. I really enjoyed working in a team of two, it gave me a chance to talk to another student in the class. We came up with an idea quite quickly because I instantly got an idea into my head. This is the finished packaging:


I am happy to say it passed 'the swing test' with flying colours!

I now have a much better idea of how to construct the packaging for the main brief when it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment