Blog Archive

Saturday, 27 December 2014

Final Packaging: The labels/Box Art

Now that the net was ready, I began designing the accompanying artwork to be placed on the box. I started by looking at the information given to us with the Hobsons brief. I didn't want to stray to far form the original packaging. The first thing I looked into was which colours to use.


These were (some) of the colours that were given with the brief. I didn't want to go with colours that are too vivid because it didn't seem to resonate with the audience. I started looking at the real packaging used by Hobsons for inspiration, this was the one I liked the most:



Variations: The Front


I started experimenting with different designs. Because the sides were in the shape of a hat, it was a bit more difficult to fit everything I wanted in at the desirable size. This is the first deign I made:


I liked the calligraphy in this design because it gave a 'premium brand'  feel that the target audience would like. However the problem here was that there was no indication of what types of beer were being sold. I needed to present images or text of the the actual product being sold. I also didn't thin k the slogan was very good. 


This one utilized the actual labels from the bottles. However, I felt like the labels didn't really work because they just looked out of place. On top of that, the colours were unbalanced and didn't compliment the upper design.


After a lot of experimenting, I eventually came to this conclusion. The bottles were well presented and the slogan presented itself well with the arch. Ideally, I wanted to display all six beers but I couldn't find an image of good enough quality.

The Back


For the back of the packaging, I wanted to give more information about the board game. I also wanted to give more context to how premium the brand was. 


I included some of the awards that Hobsons have won in the past to increase the prestige of the product. To continue with this theme I mentioned how local and fresh the hops is grown and used. I included a picture of hops and tinted it blue to complement the theme. The only thing I didn't like about this was the text on the bottom half. It seemed out of place but I feel like it couldn't have been avoided. 

The Bottom

With the bottom of the container, I was trying to think of what ingredients would be shown on the box. I opted for lines because I didn't know the exact thing to put. However, I was also aware that the size of the bottom was too big for A4 to print which meant I had to tile print again and then stitch them together after. This presents a problem and I will therefore print with A3 once I return to uni and I will also add the ingredients and also the nutritional information will be updated rather than just using a template.






No comments:

Post a Comment